Finding Designated Learning Institution

An international student can learn what an institution’s facility number is, by looking online for a (DLI) Designated Learning Institution List. Potential post-secondary international students must provide the DLI number from the list, for the school they have chosen and been accepted into, in the documentation when applying for a Canada Study Permit.

for more detailed inforamtion reagarding designated institutes and one on one assesments of your profile Click here.

In some post-secondary international student cases, potential students may be excluded from the need to provide a letter of acceptance from the DLI, when they apply for the Canadian Study Permit. Some of the following cases, (these may not be the only kinds of cases) may apply to this rule:

  • International students at a primary grade or secondary grade level institution. Schools in these levels are routinely designated, and a DLI number is not provided.
  • Foreign national family member whose application for a temporary or permanent Canadian Work Permit or a Canada Study Permit is approved in writing before the foreign national enters Canada. In this instance, the family member could acquire Canada Open Study Permit.
  • Post-secondary educational facilities in Quebec are under provincial government designation, but do not or may not have a specific unique DLI number.

In some cases, an institution may lose its government-designated status. Consequently, and depending on when the status is lost, the foreign student may be affected by the status loss.

  • If an international individual applies for a Canada Study Permit with a letter of acceptance from an educational institution that is not a DLI or has lost the DLI, the Canada Study Permit application is refused.
  • If an international individual applies for a Canada Study Permit with a letter of acceptance from an educational institution, but the institution subsequently loses its designated status before the study permit can be issued, the potential student may choose one of three options:
    • The potential student may withdraw their application for a Canada Study Permit;
    • The potential student may submit a letter of acceptance from a changed Designated Learning Institute;
    • The potential student may do nothing, the application will be administered according to the information provided. The application for the Canada Study Permit will then be refused.
  • The potential student may receive a Canada Study Permit for a DLI, and the institution loses its designated status after the study permit is issued, the potential student may choose one of two options:
    • The international student may transfer to a different Designated Learning Institute;
    • The international student may continue to study at the non-designated learning institution until their Canada Study Permit In this case, the Canada Study Permit may not obtain a renewal for the non-designated institution.


Obtaining an admission to a Canadian Educational Facility is the first requirement in obtaining a Canada Study Permit. Only educational facilities which are classified by the Canadian government as being a Designated Learning Institute may be considered when choosing an educational facility.

With this part of the process over, it allows a potential international student to concentrate on the other aspects of the Canada study permit. The following are the other requirements necessary to obtain a Canada Study Permit Permit:


Canada has two official languages which are English and French. When choosing a DLI this may be something considered by a potential foreign student. Individual DLI may have requirements, but this will also affect the Canada study permit . International students may need to pass an examination of qualification for their language abilities of either English or French, depending on the location and the educational institute chosen. This exam is necessary for all potential foreign students where English or French is not the individual’s first language. Testing may be administered as any of the following:

  • The teaching of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Canadian Academic English Language Test (CAEL)
  • Some students may be eligible to enroll in a course of study in their own language
  • Some students may be eligible for a program at an English as a Second Language (ESL) partner educational institute.
  • For French language institutions, a student may be asked to take a recognized French test
  • Some educational facilities may use their own forms of language assessment approaches


Educational standards, assessments and qualifications are dependent upon the individual educational institute, in Canada. The Canadian government has not placed standardized post-secondary testing to establish qualifications for international students into a post-secondary course of study.

International student applicants are required to be sure meet the requirements of the individual institute prior to obtaining a Canada Study Permit or entering Canada for study. Requirements for institutes can be found on the educational institute’s website or by contacting the relevant facility.


Educational facilities have varying application deadlines. Some Facilities only take applications during specific times of the year and the wait-time for an acceptance into a facility in Canada may take anywhere from four to six months. With this timeframe in mind; a potential international student must consider the time it will take when applying for a Canada Study Permit. The time required for a decision for the Canada Study Permit prior to any travel time to Canada can be between eight to fifteen weeks. Therefore, it is wise to gather relevant documentation and other information at least one year in advance.


Canadian post-secondary academic school year consistently extends from September to May. Certain educational facilities are on a semester system. Certain facilities provide a trimester system, allowing for a full course-load even during the summer. Certain institutions may provide a limited course selection or a limited timetable during the summer months. It is optional, in most educational facilities holding summer sessions, to enroll in summer courses. Some study course programs may have a January start.





Prospective international students looking to study either French or English as a Second Language at a private educational institution in Canada, can confirm that the course of study is of good quality. This is available through the Languages Canada website, administered through the same organization, provides an accurate valuation of the language schools across Canada. The website also offers contact lists of approved programs and members offering language programs.


Provincial and territorial governments in Canada oversee education. Provincial or territorial legislation provides designated and regulated colleges. The same legislation provides universities the right to grant degrees. Prospective international students are obliged to pursue studies at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). DLI status is regulated by the province or territory in which the educational facility is located. Prior to submitting an application to any institution, international student candidates should confirm that the desired institution has a DLI status. A list of DLI facilities by province is available online as Designated Learning Institution List.

Canada does not provide a federal government ranking of Canadian Universities and Canadian Colleges. However, many media sources and publications have rated Canadian educational institutions highly on lists of post-secondary education facilities worldwide.


In cases where international individuals are unable to be in Canada to study at a post-secondary institution, online educational programs offered by Canadian universities and colleges may be available. Canadian online educational programs can provide international individuals with a beginning start to a Canadian degree, diploma, or certificate. With these online course completions, a student may come to Canada to attend an educational institution in their second or third year of an educational program.


International individuals looking to arrange financial help to finance their Canadian education should first contact the educational representative in the government in their home country, where they have citizenship. Some governments in foreign countries provide scholarships and awards or low-interest loans for individuals looking to study abroad. Some Canadian colleges and universities or other designated learning institutes may have financing opportunities available for international students who qualify to study in Canada.

Some Canadian educational facilities can offer transfer credits from one college or university to a different post-secondary educational facility. Policies surrounding transfer credits are individual as the facility applied.


Once an international student candidate has chosen a Canadian university or college, they should defer to that educational facility’s website or contact the office of admissions for information on what method to apply. Information on educational institutions may be found using the CanadaVisa School Search tool. Detailed reports on schools can be obtained using the School Match tool. Successful international student applicants are issued a Letter of Acceptance, to be used in the application for a Canada Study Permit.

for more detailed information contact us by  Clicking here.

©2020 AMK.Global All Rights Reserved.